Thursday, September 15, 2011

ROAR! (...or Second Wind)

My Craft Monster has been busy!! (That title is him/her? waking up.)Well, busy adding to my list of things to do, not actually *doing* anything. Silly Monster. It's gotten to where I need to write a list of who I'm making things for and STOP buying fabric. I can only do so much at a time. I've had a couple of weeks now where I did some shopping and researching of patterns and ideas, but didn't do much in the actual construction or sewing of quilts. I should be ashamed. But I'm not. :o) I have reasons.

Excuse #1: My daughter started school on the First, so that was pretty exciting. My baby is in kindergarten! It was my first First Day of School as a parent. I held up pretty well. :o) My daughter had a little bit of a breakdown. She was super excited for school, but her teacher speaks Spanish, and she doesn't, so that put a wrench in the excitement. She is in a Dual Language program where they will spend 50% of their school day immersed in the Spanish language (no translation whatsoever) and 50% in English. There is an equal amount of native speakers of each language mixed in both classes so the kids can help each other. The goal is bi-literacy and bi-lingual(ness?) by the end of the program, which runs through 6th grade. I was born in Mexico, I spent my first 10 years there, and I am ashamed to say my children do not speak Spanish. :o( I'm hoping this program can help them and our family be more bilingual in our everyday life.
I did make some project progress while she was at school that first day: I cut the backings, batting and binding for my place mats! That should count for something. I started basting, but ran out of pins since I only bought 75. Oops.

Excuse #2: I didn't have everything I needed! I think that's usually my first excuse. :o) Everything I've read, whether it be in books or blogs, tells me that I NEED a walking foot if I'm going to do any straight line quilting on my machine at home. I went looking for one at my local sewing and vacuum store, but they didn't have the Brother one I wanted, and I did NOT want to spend $100 on another one, so I walked away with only two spools of thread, a binding foot (which I will talk more about once I do some binding), and some advice from the lovely lady helping me out. She suggested I pin like crazy with my basting and that should help me quilt without a walking foot. Well... I started to, but then I gave up and ordered the walking foot online. AND a free motion foot since it was on sale. So now, technically, I should have every notion I need to finish at least the 4 projects I have on my table. (I told you the Monster has been busy!)

Excuse #3: My husband and I went camping last weekend! Adult camping. As in NO KIDS, so many friends! It's the 3rd year we've done it and it's so much fun. Even when we don't do anything *well, except hold a beer in hand* it's so nice to just SIT. Family camping is usually trying to find ways to entertain kids, keep them fed, semi clean, and out of trouble. This year we invited a couple who hadn't gone camping before (at least she hadn't) and I think they had fun. They're already making plans to come back next year. Yay! :o)

I think that was the last of my excuses. I'm getting the quilt bug again, so hopefully I'll be able to keep going and actually finish a project! It's hard to do it at night, though. I LOVE natural light. That's probably why when I'm at work, I'd rather be quilting. But once I get the kids in bed, and it's getting dark out, I'd rather sit on the couch and catch up on Psych. :o)
I basted 5 place mats yesterday and I WILL finish the last 7 today. I cut my Flurry scraps as well yesterday. Those will be for my annual Christmas ornaments for all the kids in my life. My sister-in-law and her family moved back home, so they add 2 more kids to the list for a total of 10 ornaments this year! My plan is to make a simple-ish block, probably no bigger than 4 inches, and to hand stitch their name and the year to the back.  I now have all the fabric I need for my daughter's quilt top, so I'd like to start cutting that down, too. AND my first quilt class starts next weekend! I know that I have enough projects going on (2 with Christmas deadlines) so that hopefully I'll be able to make a dent each week. I plan to stay up super late on Friday, fire up that Netflix, get lost in a couple of episodes of Psych and actually start quilting! :o)  Maybe not so much progress this Saturday because... we're going to the Fair!

P.S. I never did get more storage on my computer to download my pictures off my camera, but I DID get a new memory card. I think I even figured out how to get pictures off of it without saving them to whatever computer I'm on! I think Craft Monster is getting savvier. It still needs a name. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment